Good news for Meath farmers as China beef ban to be lifted – Butler
23rd February 2015 - Fine Gael Press Office
Fine Gael TD for Meath West, Ray Butler, has said today (Monday) that the lifting of the Chinese ban on Irish beef is good news for farmers in Meath.
“This announcement follows the successful visit by the Agriculture Minister, Simon Coveney TD, to China last November. It follows on intensive political, technical and diplomatic engagement with the Chinese authorities over several years. The value of agri-food exports from Ireland to China, including Hong Kong, amounted to almost €620 million last year, an increase of almost two and a half times the level of exports in 2011.
“Increasing demand for beef in China means there is great potential for high quality steak cuts and for traceable manufacturing beef for the expanding fast food sector. This announcement will help Irish operators and farmers to get a share of that growing market.
“The next step in the process will determine which cuts can be exported and the agreement of a veterinary certificate. This will be followed by a Chinese veterinary inspection to approve individual processing plants for export. Minister Coveney said that his Department would be continuing its technical engagement with the Chinese authorities to ensure that this process is concluded as soon as possible.
“The Chinese decision follows the lifting of the ban on Irish beef exports to the United States and clearly demonstrates the Government’s intense focus on the agriculture and food sector as a key part of the economic recovery is yielding strong results.”
Related news
Donegal Tweed and Irish craft industry needs to be ready to apply for EU special status – Boyle
New EU regulations for craft goods that are set to come into effect at the end of this year will…
1st April 2025‘Valerie’s Law’ will close legal loophole and safeguard children – Ward
Proposals around parental rights for those convicted of killing their partners, or a parent of their child, will finally close…
1st April 2025European Commission must safeguard against potential job losses arising out of Trump tariffs – Lynch
The European Commission must increase funding available under the European Globalisation Adjustment Fund (EGF), to mitigate against tariffs likely to…
31st March 2025